Tuesday 29 September 2009

We All Need Somebody

I’m starting to feel very fatigued. So much so that it’s quite hard to do everyday things. With that comes a sense of helplessness and defeat that leads to the kind petulant outburst that I had on Sunday.

But I hate asking friends for help. I don’t like to think that I will put them on the spot and then they will have to say ‘yes’ out of a sense of shame. I like even less to think that they may say ‘no’ and then I will feel crushed and rejected. So I’ve come up with a cunning plan that I think gives everyone a get out. If you’re feeling overwhelmed I suggest you try this yourself:

From: Canalily

To: Flossie, Iris, Sheldon, Seraphina, Justin, Tessa, Jamie, Pete

Subject: Help needed

Hello friends,

I have reached a stage in the treatment where the chemo is starting to make me extremely fatigued so I'm spending a lot of time on the couch. You know how much I hate to ask but I could really do with some help doing a few things.

I need to fill in a form for the benefits people, that involves going through my files and finding information. Also need to do some filing and general plant watering, laundry and shopping.

If you have any time this week, your help will be gratefully appreciated.

Love

Lily

I don’t expect to receive a reply before this evening so fall back into bed and doze for an hour.

On arising I find the following in my inbox:

From: Iris

To: Canalily

Subject: Re: Help needed

Chilli and I will be over when I have had a bath x

The next thing I know there’s a welcome rap and a yap yap yap at the door.

0 comments: