Monday 14 September 2009

Que Sera Sera

It will be Nick’s birthday on the 24th of September. I won’t tell you how old he is going to be, but it’s a biggie.

Only four days ago he decided to have a party. Since then he’s been buzzing about, organising a venue and catering, booking a band and fretting that he doesn’t have enough friends to invite. I am delighted that he is going ahead with it. I had feared that Nick’s birthday would slip by unmarked amidst all the dramas of his ill mother, his problematic son and his chemo chic girlfriend.

This morning he sent me an email invitation. It shows a busy beach scene filled with frolicking 1960’s ladies in bikinis. Atop a VW Combi bus stands a champagne-toting musclebound physique with Nick’s head superimposed onto it. When I saw the picture I laughed out loud. The whole thing is wonderfully frivolous and silly. The next minute I was overwhelmed with sadness. It seems so long ago that I last felt frivolous and silly. I’m sad that I won’t be with Nick on his birthday. I’m sad that Nick has to take care of everybody and organise his own party.

But really we are all ok. It just is how it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely lunch today such fun. Wish I ate tht well all the time. maybe we should have a party here for Nick too?!!!

canalily said...

That would be fab. Just as soon as he gets his bum over here.