Saturday 16 April 2011

Top Chemo Glamour Tips



At first, you may feel that you want to decline every social invitation. And that is perfectly fine. You are ill and you don’t have to do anything that you don’t want to.

Cancer really knocked my confidence. I shied away from groups of people, particularly people that I didn’t know. At first I was nervous to go out. Would my turban slip off in the middle of dinner? Would people snigger at my wig? Would I suddenly throw up all over the floor? Would I find myself feeling exhausted and be unable to get home easily?

These are real considerations. Little by little I learned how to pace myself and handle daily challenges. My confidence grew. One day I realised that I was ready to go to a party. But I needed the right outfit, one that would be comfortable yet glamorous, an outfit that would say “here is a self-posessed, stylish woman,” not “Hey! Look at that poor cancer victim”

Here are some tips:

If you’ve had surgery your body image has probably suffered. Forget about the Dolce & Gabana corset dress. Choose something loose and drapey that uses beading or sequins to catch the eye. Think palazzo pants with a silk shirt or a beaded jersey dress. Chikara creates stylish asymmetric clothing that go a long way to disguising uneven boobs.  A long silk kaftan will cut a dash a black-tie event.

Chemotherapy can cause sore feet. Patent leather, jewelled or satin pumps are every bit as glamorous as six-inch stilettos.

A silk or velvet turban is an absolute showstopper. Glam it up with a glittering brooch.

Keep the spotlight on your face and neck by wearing dramatic lipstick and chandelier earrings.

And remember: if you feel ill or tired or overwhelmed you can simply leave. Nobody will think you’re being rude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a blog post to help my friend through the same thing - to feel glamorouse during chemo. I even called it the Chemo Chic STyle Guide! My friend loved her wig but sometimes it was just too hot and uncomfortable. So I put together a gallery full of stylish ideas and celebrity inspiration for short hair, scarves and hats. Hope it can help someone in a similar situation! http://aphroditesapple.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/chemo-chic-style-guide/

canalily said...

That's great Pretty. Well done!