Monday 28 September 2009

They Don't Know They're Born

I’m back now. Once again, I apologise for my pout.

This Chemo is a bit of an up and down business. They told me at the beginning that the effect is cumulative. I think I’ve been getting away with it so far. I’ve kept myself fit, eaten well and had relatively few and minor side effects, compared with what some people go through. But I’m starting to feel bone tired. I’ve spent many hours in bed or on the couch in the last couple of days and it just seems very difficult to do anything.

I recall being told about the possible side effects back before the chemotherapy all began: tiredness, nausea, mouth ulcers, numbness, constipation, diahorrea, dhiaorrea, runs, hair loss...

Full of fear, I relayed the gloomy outlook to Ben. “Lily, those doctors and nurses,” said Ben. “Yes?” I asked. “Have they ever been on a three day bender?” “I guess not.” I replied. “In that case,” said Ben, “they don’t know what they’re talking about.”

0 comments: