Sunday 12 September 2010

Brush Your Teeth With Confidence

I recently began a forensic inspection of all the personal care products in my bathroom. At the time I was quite put out to discover the hazardous potential of the several different brands of toothpaste that were lying around.

The ingredients are seldom listed on the tube, or on the websites of the manufacturers. But it’s a safe bet to assume that one’s toothpaste may contain some or all of the following: sodium fluoride; triclosan; hydrogen peroxide; sodium hydroxide; polyethylene glycol; Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS); Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES); sodium saccharin and sodium monofluorophosphate.

Eeek. I mean, I put this stuff in my mouth two or three times a day!

My number 2 spectacles and I paid a visit to Portobello Wholefoods where we scanned the shelves. There were quite a few strong contenders but eventually I plumped for Weleda’s Salt Toothpaste, just because I find the idea intriguing.

I love it! It is very different from any other toothpaste I’ve ever tried. First of all, it is not white or blue but a kind of pink-amber colour. It tastes strongly of salt and even more strongly of peppermint oil. It reminds me slightly of those salty lemon drinks that one quaffs in India to stave off dehydration. Leaves a decidedly fresh, tingly feeling in the mouth.

Ingredients (from the Weleda website): Sodium Bicarbonate, Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Silica, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Prunus Spinosa Fruit Juice, Commiphora Myrrha Extract, Krameria Triandra Root Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Bark Extract, Arum Maculatum Root Extract**, Sodium Chloride, Cyanopsis Tetragonalba (Guar) Gum, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Alcohol, Esculin, Flavour (Aroma)*, Limonene*, Linalool*. *from natural essential oils ** In highly diluted Form/ Extremement Dilue

0 comments: