Sunday 9 May 2010

London Calling

I am flying to London tomorrow morning. Sheldon and Doug will be there to meet me at Heathrow. I’m grateful for that. It will be good to see their smiling faces again. Yet I am also filled with dread. I know that my relationship with Nick is over. But leaving Sydney will be finally shutting the door on all of my dreams. I am flying away from something that I wanted so much. And I am flying back to something that I don’t want at all – namely my first round of scans and tests to find out if I am clear of cancer.

They say that home is where the heart is. My heart is in two places. I will miss Samantha, Lyla, Lily, Mandy and Tony, Marcus and all the new friends that I have made in Sydney. And I will be overjoyed to see all of my friends in London.

It is going to be hard to go to the airport and get on the plane alone.

But it is also time for me to allow the possibility of new dreams. And one of them is coming true already. An Australian publisher has asked me to turn Chemo Chic into a book.

All I can do is pray and try to live in the moment. Tomorrow is tomorrow. Right now it’s a warm Sydney Sunday morning. Samantha and I are off for one last swim at Bondi.

0 comments: